Hawaii State Alternate
Hawaii State Assessment
National Assessment of
Algebra II Exam
System Evaluation and
System Planning and
Hawaii Quarterly Assessments
NAEP Hawaii Profile
Title I Compliance Agreement
Student Assessment Section (SAS)
The Student Assessment Section, under the Systems Accountability Office, oversees the Hawaii State Assessment Program. Specifically, the Student Assessment Section is responsible for the development and implementation of the Hawaiian Aligned Portfolio Assessment, the Hawaii State Alternate Assessment, the Hawaii State Assessment, the National Assessment of Educational Progress, the Quarterly Assessments, and other statewide assessment-related matters.
- Hawaiian Aligned Portfolio Assessment (HAPA) - The HAPA in reading and mathematics is administered to students in grades 3 and 4 in the Hawaiian Language Immersion Program in the spring testing window. The HAPA is administered in the Hawaiian language.
- Hawaii State Alternate Assessment (HSAA) - The HSAA is administered to IDEA students who qualify under the participation criteria for the Alternate Assessment. The HSAA in reading and mathematics is administered to students in grades 3 - 8 and 10 and the HSAA in science is administered to students in grades 4, 6, and 10. All of these assessments are administered in the spring.
- Hawaii State Assessment (HSA) - The HSA in reading and mathematics is administered to students in grades 3 - 8 and 10. This assessment includes criterion-referenced and norm-referenced sessions. Criterion-referenced proficiency level scores and norm-referenced stanine and percentile rank scores. Only the criterion-referenced scores are used for Adequate Yearly Progress. Students in grades 4, 6 and 10 also take the HSA in science. This assessment includes only criterion-referenced sessions and proficiency level scores. All of these assessments are administered in the spring. Information about the HSA for parents, students and educators may be found at the AlohaHSA website.
- National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP) - The NAEP is a national assessment administered biennially to a randomly selected group of students in grades 4, 8 and 12. The National NAEP website provides an overview of NAEP in Hawaii, reports for mathematics, reading, science, and writing, and item compilations in mathematics, reading, science, and geography.
- Quarterly Assessments - The Quarterly Assessments in reading and mathematics are administered to students in grades 3-8 and 10 in the first, second, and fourth quarters of each school year and are intended to be a part of a school's formative assessment system. Schools that have chosen to administer the quarterly assessments developed by the Department of Education in conjunction with its HSA testing contractor may access the assessments at the Hawaii Quarterly Assessments website .
- American Diploma Project Algebra II End-of-Course Exam - Hawaii has joined the partnership to create the American Diploma Project (ADP) Algebra II End-of-Course Exam. The ADP Algebra II End-of -Course Exam is an initiative of the American Diploma Project (ADP) Network, which includes 35 states dedicated to making sure every high school graduate is prepared for college or work.
State of Hawaii Department of Education
Student Assessment Section
641 18th Avenue #V102
Honolulu, HI 96816
Telephone: (808) 733-4100
Monday through Friday, 7:45 AM - 4:30 PM HST
Fax: (808) 733-4483